Fam trips, short for familiarization trips, are vacations that are available to travel professionals by resorts and cruise lines. These luxurious vacations provide huge travel agent discounts and top quality service, at affordable prices.
Why offer these great travel agent deals? It’s quite simple. A travel agent who has seen a great vacation and been pampered by a particular resort will probably recommend that resort to others. So, fam trips give travel agent discounts and awesome service to the client and in turn bring new business to participating travel vendors.
What that means to the travel professional is that he or she is described as a VIP. But what does it mean to you? If the idea of taking fam trips, where you will receive huge travel agent discounts and be treated like royalty appeals to you, then read on.
Getting up to date under the best places to travel, tourism, and how to fulfill the requirements of your customer is critical to your travel business. Find out if the firm offers comprehensive training and courses on various travel services, products, marketing, etc. You want to establish a good expertise and become a knowledgeable resource for you customers. For some host agencies, taking a course or training is necessary to qualify for certain travel credentials, although it isn’t required to book travel. As a home based travel agent you’ll need certain credentials like the CLIA card. CLIA stands for the Cruise Line Industry Association. This industry recognized credential allows you special agent rates on discounted cruises and offers a whole range of benefits to you and your customer. To be recognized as a travel agency most host agencies are usually bonded and accredited through ARC/IATAN. ARC was established by the tourism industry to provide prompt, efficient, and secure distribution and settlement of travel purchased in the U.S. IATAN-International Airlines Travel Agent Network endorses travel agents and provides the IATAN ID card, which identifies you as a US based travel sales professional. Most agencies will provide you with their IATAN/ARC number for you to be in a position to use outside travel vendors and suppliers that do not have established relationships with your host agency, however for some other credentials like CLIA, training is required but not a requirement to book travel.
Most travel companies offer some assistance with marketing your travel business. Check to see if they provide a turn-key website or online booking engine for your clients to book travel on. Do they have auto responders to handle email campaigns and promotions? Find out to determine if they provide ready-made templates to print business cards, postcards, flyers, etc. These are all the tools in your marketing arsenal that will allow you to get the word out about your home-based travel business.
Just turn on the news any day of the week and you will hear horror stories about the economy. For those of us who have chosen to turn our backs on fear and panic, there are easy steps we can take to take advantage of the riches of life, despite the economy. One of these steps is to consider ownership of an online travel agency.
The best news is that anybody today can own an online travel agency. Most of us have seen the shift in the way travel is booked. Where once there were storefront travel agencies everywhere, today there are few of these left. The growing trend has been for travelers to book their trips on the Internet.
Usually, business travelers research fares on their own and make their reservations online. According to a survey, it was discovered that only 32 percent of corporate travelers used the services of travel agents for their reservation needs, while the rest, 68 percent, preferred using the internet or online services to plan at least a few part of their business traveling arrangements.
Business travelers are usually technologically conversant; hence, choose to handle all their traveling arrangements through the Internet, limiting the necessity of having to interact with travel agents and professionals dealing with customer service.
If so, you will be pleased to learn that this is an affordable, turnkey business that doesn’t require a great deal of time or knowledge. You can have your own travel booking site up and running in only half an hour, and start taking advantage of this great opportunity. And, if you choose to, you can create a prosperous business.
This is the decision I have made, and I love the fact that I’m taking responsibility for creating my own income, rather than relying on an employer to look after me. I purchased an online booking site, promote my site to others who love to travel, and save a great deal of money on my taxes and travel expenses.
The choice is yours with an online booking site. You can just tell others about your site and enjoy the benefits, or put more effort into it to make it a great income source that you will be able to work in your spare time.