Picking your honeymoon destination is a very personal decision – it’s something that’ll depend on the personalities of you and your partner, what your interests are and what your idea of a romantic break is. Of course, the fact that there are just so many options out there can make choosing just one or two that little bit more difficult; so, we’ve put together a list of some of the top places to start your married life together, giving you a quick look at what gives each its honeymoon appeal.
If you need more guidance making your decision, tour operators can be a massive help in narrowing down your choices. Hayes & Jarvis weddings abroad are a good place to start your search, since they also offer honeymoons and specialists like this are your best bet if you want something more than generic holiday advice.
A gorgeous archipelago in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives barely needs an introduction. This is one of the ultimate places to go if you’re looking for seclusion, privacy and luxury resorts. One of the main advantages to coming here is that, since there is just one resort per island by law, you won’t ever feel like you’re battling the tourist crowds. Throw the destination’s impressive selection of luxury spas into the mix, and it’s easy to see why this is such a good place for honeymooning couples.
It’s for you if:
- You’re looking for relaxation
- You want the most intimate, classic romantic setting
- You are keen to try water sports, such as diving
Another Indian Ocean destination, Sri Lanka is a beautiful island that’s perfect for relaxation and spotting wildlife. Some of its top highlights include Yala National Park, where you can see leopards, elephants and sloth bears, and the stunning lagoons of Bentota. This destination’s also good for culture vultures, since you can explore places like Kandy, which is home to one of the most important sites in the Buddhist faith, the Temple of Tooth.
It’s for you if:
- You want to see exciting animals
- You hope to spend a lot of time relaxing on the beach
- You fancy soaking up some culture while you travel
Now, obviously Africa is a vast continent, and not all of it is honeymoon material. Some areas, however, are absolutely mind-blowing – especially if you’re looking for a honeymoon with a difference. Here are some of the top places to pick/things to do:
- Go on safari: There are a host of national parks where you can see some of the world’s most incredible animals. Masai Mara National Park and Kruger National Park are among the best.
- Take a hot air balloon safari: What could be more romantic?
- Explore Cape Town: A must for city slickers, Cape Town is a great place to start if you fancy exploring South Africa. While you’re here, make sure you take the trip up Table Mountain – the city’s famous backdrop – for an unforgettable honeymoon experience.
- Discover a paradise island: Not keen on going on safari or exploring a big city? That doesn’t mean Africa isn’t for you; head to the gorgeous island of Zanzibar and you can relax on some of the most stunning, peaceful beaches you’re ever likely to encounter, as well as discover the fascinating cultural heritage of Stone Town.
It’s for you if:
- You’ve always dreamed of going on safari
- You want to experience somewhere truly unique
- You’ve got your heart set on spending your honeymoon on a beautiful island